Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Eric Vs. "Big" Jim Martin


Yet another in a series of public cries for help as I cannot for the life of me get five stars on "Epic" by Faith No More in Rock Band. The four-and-three-quarters-star glass ceiling is proving to be unbreakable.

This continues a painful trend when it comes to me and my obsession with music video games: The more I love a song, the worse I play it.

This trend now spans several games. It started with "Sweet Child o'Mine" on Guitar Hero II. The song's signature riff always gave me fits.

It continued with "Knights of Cydonia" on GH III, which I never could get a handle on. My inability to play neither the long strumming sections at the beginning or the sci-fi interlude before the song's furious finish often sent my blood pressure through the roof.

And now "Epic," which would definitely be on a very short list of my all-time favorite songs. I can play most of it pretty well, but I can't handle the solo which ends with an insane series of hammer-ons and pull-offs that my clumsy fingers can't even begin to comprehend.

I take this matter a bit too seriously, as I eventually come to blame the guitarists who originally played these songs for my lack of skill and come to despise them. That said, FNM guitarist Jim Martin is my latest arch-nemesis.

Trust me, you're familiar with the dude even if you aren't the rock-&-roll-aphile that I am. Remember the video for "Epic", with the fish flopping on the ground? Or how about the opening minutes of BILL & TED'S BOGUS JOURNEY that are set in the utopia created by the universal love of Wyld Stallyns? Then I'm sure you remember this guy...



If any of you ever see Martin, tell him I hate him.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faith No More and the song Epic are Great. I wonder which song will then replace Epic when you reach your goal. Nice to see a Bogus Journey nod too...BTW got some music for ya...

sarataxi said...

Jim Martin gave me a Coke when I was 13 years old and snuck backstage to make goo goo eyes at Mike Patton.