Monday, August 11, 2008

The Devil Wears Pink



I've fallen way behind on writing about my misadventures, and don't really have much time to fix that today thanks to a slew of mundane tasks I have to attend to before I see ALIENS tonight and begin what's pretty much a solid week of work tomorrow. I'm slowly getting over a touch of laryngitis, so my coworkers will be thrilled to hear that I can't talk much.

Before too much time passed, I wanted to post the last few pics and memories of Mondo Diablo, which ended with "Chick Night": DESPERATELY SEEKING SUSAN and PRETTY IN PINK. I've always been ambivalent about SUSAN and hated PRETTY with a white-hot passion, and a repeat viewing of each has done nothing to change my opinions.



Nonetheless, I went for two reasons: to listen to '80s icon Jon Cryer's recollections of making the worst John Hughes film of the decade and to get one last picture of Diablo.



Cryer was quite cool, very funny and dished some great stories about filming PRETTY and, most importantly, why the film ended the way it did. Short version: Molly Ringwald wanted Robert Downey Jr. to play Duckie and never let anyone on set forget it. An ending was, in fact, originally filmed where Duckie and Andie wind up together, but Ringwald had it changed and reshoots were done.

When Diablo vented about her hatred of the ending before the films, Jason and I protested from the front row and reminded her that Kristy Swanson is quite an epic consolation prize. That pretty much fell on deaf ears, but we showered Kristy's cameo with passionate applause.

Diablo thanked everyone for coming, particularly the four of who occupied the front row for every one of her screenings. Inspiration struck, and I thought it'd be a great idea to sit her in the middle for a geek team photo, which required me to chase her down in the lobby after PINK wrapped and ask her to come back and sit through about five different pictures.

Fortunately, she is, in fact, the coolest chick on the planet and enthusiastically agreed to do it, calling us her MVP's. She sat and smiled as all four of us in the photo got it on our individual cameras, then stood, thanked us again and hugged us all(!).



There isn't one of us in the photo above who isn't in love with her. I even suspect pregnant, married Jen would switch teams.

Thanks again, Diablo. Here's hoping for a Mondo Diablo II someday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah. I would have switched teams. The girl wanted to show "Grease 2" - how can I resist?